Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Easter at the Department of Justice?

It seems a bit surreal to be going through my day preparing for another Good Friday and Easter while the Supreme Court is deliberating decisions that could radically change the course of history in our country. While I have known this day would come eventually, I can hardly comprehend that it’s here. I don’t know what the outcome will be or how any of us will be feeling about it in a few days. But I do know how the wind is blowing and I do know that, if it doesn’t happen this time, it will happen.

The irony of the fact that we should be waiting for the world to change during Holy Week is not lost on me. I think of the sacrifices so many have made to live authentically, as the people God created them to be. And it reminds me of Jesus. I think of dear friends  who have been relegated to the margins of society because they do not meet the expectations of others. And it reminds me of Jesus. I think of all the pain people I care deeply about have endured because of who they love. And it reminds me of Jesus.

And when I’m reminded of  Jesus, I think of the story of one who suffered and died, knowing that story doesn’t end there, because it’s God’s story. And in God’s story, death always leads to new life. And so it shall be. New life is on its way. I have no doubt about it. I just don’t know when. And so, with so many people I love, this day I wait, holding my breath, afraid to exhale. And I pray that it will soon be Easter morning.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful sentiment. This courts decision will be a true test of our freedom. I pray they will have the strength to support the rights of all people.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.