Friday, January 29, 2016

Lord, have mercy on the U.S. of A.

No one else was around at the CVS as I was checking out yesterday, so I engaged in a little friendly banter with the cashier, someone I've had conversations with in the past.

As I glanced at the cover of the magazine that was for sale on the counter, I said, “Oh, the famous Megyn Kelly.”

“How old do you think she is?” the cashier asked. 

“I have no idea,” I said. “Maybe around 40. I dunno. But Donald Trump sure has given her career a boost, hasn’t he?”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Well, you know, he says he’s not going to join the debate tonight if she’s the moderator. And Fox News isn’t going to back down. Trump has met his match.”

“Yes, he has,” the cashier said. And then she asked, “You think she’ll get elected?”

“Elected?” I asked.

“Yeah, do you think she'll be our next president?”

Suddenly my gut was in a knot. How was this possible? I know we often lament the poor voter turn-out in our elections, but maybe people not bothering to vote isn’t the worst thing that could happen to us.

Lord, have mercy on the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.